Sunday, July 14, 2013

Wisdom and Learning

"To gain understanding that wisdom may be vouchsafed to me..."

As I said in my last post, I wanted to learn something new each day or so and share it with others. So...I didn't really do what I had planned, but I did come away with a bit more. Sure, I learned a few things but they were not simple, basic, cheesy, things. It wasn't like I learned a new word each day, or looked up a random piece of information (Ok, but I did learn that apparently baby dolphins are born with mustaches...ha ha). Here is what I did take away from the last two weeks...Some of these are "duh" lessons, and some are ones that really hit home. All of them though, are lessons that I feel every Christian should be aware of. And that is truly what I wanted to do...take lessons that I have learned and share them with others. So here you go:


  1. Besides Him, family is truly the most important thing in the world. Never underestimate your parents' advice. No matter how annoying a sibling may get, be thankful that you have someone in your life in which you can share your childhood memories...and talk to about your parents when they get on your nerves! :) 
  2. To each their own. I know...so cliche right? I often find myself judging how others raise their children. I am not a parent. Who am I to say what's right and what's wrong? Even if I did have my own children, everyone has their own family dynamics. Everyone has been raised in different ways. What I think is right or wrong may not be the same to someone else. This leads me to #3...
  3. Do not judge others. Only God can judge, and even then, I doubt He really does. I've realized that we all judge. I've realized that I need to stop comparing myself to others and their lives. One way I stopped myself from doing this is that I took myself out of the equation. I am no longer "friends with" or "followers of" people I tended to compare myself with or judge or want to be like. I tell you what - my life is already better. I no longer feel the need to look them up or see their posts and pictures and compare my life to theirs or judge them. Unfortunately, I took the easy way out - I should maybe have taught myself self-control, but hey, I have to start somewhere. 
  4. You cannot please everyone. Example: camping with 14 people - including 5 young children - is hard. Everyone wants to do different things. Example: young boys and girls like to do different things. Girls may like to be more crafty. Boys may want to play more sports. The answer: take turns and compromise. 
  5. Patience is truly a virtue. (N. a behavior showing high moral standards, or a quality considered morally good or desirable in a person. Thank you Google Search.). I don't have patience. I realize I need to work on it. I need patience. Lord, I pray each night for patience and I will continue to do so. I don't have patience with my students, with my dog, with my boyfriend, with my brother, with myself, with my job search, with beginning my new life in IL...the list goes on and on...
  6. Dog spelled backwards is God. I know, this is a cheesy one. But if you are a dog lover, then you know just how true this is! I could do (and I will now that I'm saying it...) an entire post on what every Christian should learn from a dog....love it!!!!
To relate this all back to the first line of the Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose, "To gain understanding that wisdom may be vouchsafed to me..." - I've realized something. God gave humans the ability to learn, teach others, comprehend, spread messages, write, communicate with others, etc. He gave us the gift of KNOWLEDGE. Why? So that we could learn and understand His teachings through the Gospel and Bible. Why do you think the saying, "Knowledge is Power" is so common? Think about it. Knowledge IS power. The Apostles had the knowledge of Christ, and wanted to spread it. They had "power" the governments did not like. Why do so many wars begin? Why do so many authors write about books being banned, or societies being limited to what they can learn? The more knowledge a person has, the more powerful they become. Why did men used to not want women to go to school or vote or read? Because women would have too much knowledge and begin to think for themselves - which would lead to them having a mind of their own and therefore gain power.... 

The list could go on and on....but how am I connecting these two??? A line from a sorority purpose to living a Christian life and being a good Christian....????

Being a Christian is walking a life of faith. Being a Christian is living a Christian life. Being a Christian is doing Christian acts. Being a Christian is spreading His word. Being a Christian is gaining knowledge and learning about Christ. It is taking that knowledge and learning from it - how to live and act like Christ and having the strength and power to deliver that message to others. 

My prayer: Dear God, I want to THANK YOU for giving us the ability to possess knowledge. To gain wisdom. It truly is a gift and one that we should always be seeking. You want Your people to learn. Not just Your teachings through Your word, but look at all You have put on this earth for us to learn!! Education is so valuable. You have given it to us - why do we take so much of it for granted??? I will always have a love for learning and I will do my best to learn more about Your teachings and ways to be a better Christian.

At the same time, thank you to the founders of Alpha Gamma Delta who wrote this Purpose and made this the first line...I'm so honored to know that those ladies also recognized how valuable education, learning, knowledge, and wisdom are to living a healthy life. Whether or not they had a Christian life in mind while coming up with the Purpose, I think they did a pretty good job of relating the two! :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment