Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1st - A New Year, a new journey

I've decided to really focus on my faith this year and so I'm using a book by Beth Moore to help me along the way. I received this book as a gift a few years ago when I lived in Michigan and I turn to it every now and then. My goal is that this year I will use it every day and allow it to become not just something on my "to-do" list, but rather a necessity in my life. The book is called, Praying God's Word Day by Day; a Year of Devotional Prayer. Each day has a thoughtful little quote or phrase at the top of the page, followed by a prayer for that day. I've decided to type out whatever is written at the top of the page, and reflect on it. The prayers, while they are great, are sometimes long - and I feel like reflecting on what the prayer is about will be more meaningful.

Please pray that this new endeavor is successful for me!

Today's "top of the page" reads: "The giant step in the walk of faith is the one we take when we decide God no longer is a part of our lives. He is our life."

Goodness this sounds so easy. "Just make God your life." It's one of the hardest concepts and ideas that I have had to realize and learn on my journey with Christ. I pray each day that I can find the will to do this. I mean, let's face it, real life takes over our lives! Jobs, family, friends, other obligations we make for ourselves. But what about the REAL obligation we have in our lives? The REAL obligation we have to God? Why is it that we don't make God our entire life? Why is it so hard? I feel that it's because if it were easy to make God our life - well, then what would be the point? Easy things are just that...easy! They don't take effort, and will power. Easy things in life are simple; not complex. They are sometimes shallow and boring.

God is everything BUT those things: He isn't easy to understand. He wants us to WANT to know and understand Him. Knowing God takes effort! Knowing God takes time and will. God is NOT simple - he is totally complex! He is ALL; everything. God is the last one to be considered shallow! And above all, God isn't boring!

So, looking back....this first year passage is perfect. What a way to start this new year; by taking that giant step. I declare today, January 1, 2012 MY day. MY day when I have decided to do all that I can to make God my life - not just a part of it - but all of it.

I pray that each of you reading this has a great new year full of love, joy, peace, and above all - full of His presence.


No comments:

Post a Comment